Whingate Primary School intends on promoting the importance of leading an active lifestyle through our engaging, high-quality curriculum that supports both the physical and emotional development of our pupils. Our vision is to empower all children to become life-long participants of physical activity, whilst ensuring that they have the skills to make healthy life choices independently. We also want to teach our children how to stay safe such as learning how to swim and make sensible decisions around water. We want our pupils to gain the confidence in performing a variety of skills needed to participate in a wide range of sports and be given opportunities to utilise these competitively. Our safe and supportive environment encourages children to cooperate and contribute actively and learn to work as part of an effective team.
- PE at Whingate Primary School provides challenging and enjoyable learning through a range of sporting activities including: invasion games, net & wall games, strike and field games, gymnastics, dance, swimming and outdoor & adventure.
- Our long-term plan is clear and covers both the indoor and outdoor PE units in line with our progression of skills from FS/KS1/KS2.
- Pupils engage in 2 hours of PE a week through attending 1 indoor and 1 outdoor PE lesson a week. We follow a high-quality programme of study from ACES Education which is designed to meet the needs to each child and influences whole school improvement.
- Lunch time sports are available, and every year group shares outdoor equipment to be used independently or through teacher-led activities.
- Our ‘Myers’ Mile’ is available for children to use at play times, lunch times and during PE sessions to encourage all pupils to be active for at least 60 minutes a day, aside from their weekly PE lessons.
- There is a wide range of after school clubs available for children to attend that change regularly to support the demand of the children. Skills needed for upcoming competitions are also practised after school, directed by a specialist PE coach from ACE Sport UK.
- Children are invited to attend sporting competitions regularly with our local schools from our cluster. Our pupils can practise their sportsmanship skills and develop not only their physical but mental well-being.
- In the Summer term children in Year 4 attend intensive swimming lessons Wed-Fri for 10 weeks.
- Children from Year 5 and Year 6 are given the opportunity to become Sports Leaders for the school. This is an inclusive approach and children are asked to apply for the role which allows them to learn new skills and think about their personal qualities. Sports Leaders act as role models for younger children, run small lunch time activities, help with Sports Day and attend competitions to support the running of events.
- Sports Councillors are selected each year to represent the ‘Pupils’ Voice’ across KS2. They work alongside our School Councillors in making improvements across school.
Our children develop a love for physical activity through the opportunities we provide not only in PE lessons, but through wider curriculum links, after school clubs and competitive opportunities. Making healthy life choices and understanding the importance of personal wellbeing are vital skills which our pupils learn about regularly both in class and through whole school events. We equip all of our pupils to leave Whingate Primary School with the skills to take responsibility for their own health and fitness and become active and respectful members of their community.